Free Team Building Ideas
INDOOR or OUTDOOR
- Approximately one-half hour for group of 12; (more, based on number of participants and length of debrief desired)
- 10 to any number, depending on space
- Markers for the beginning & finish line (cones, rope, etc.)
- Problem Solving
Preparation and Notes for Facilitator:
- Mark off start and finish lines with cones, rope, stakes, etc.
- Find a creative way to create partners.
- Have the partner groups line up behind the start line and explain that the partners must travel over the finish line while maintaining continuous contact with each other’s feet.
- If anyone in the group loses contact with his/her partner’s foot, the partner (or the entire group) must start over.
Facilitate the activity:
- Ask several individuals to be “coaches” who will provide verbal assistance from the sidelines.
- Ask several individuals to be “managers” who provide direction while the group is unable to talk. Try again where the group is able to speak and negotiate.
- Ask several individuals to be “senior management” who say nothing during the activity but who must assess whether the group was successful or not.
- What was the most difficult aspect of the task?
- How did the coaches go about about providing their advice? How was it received?
- What was the impact of not being able to talk and communicate?
- Did the “senior management” accurately predict success?